9.2.07

don't take down the pack n' play!

well....David got the brilliant idea to reclaim our bedroom last night. He decided to take down the pack n' play where Matilda had spent her beginning months with us. It was so nice to be able to have her right next to us and make sure she was okay and breathing...all the new parent things. It all seemed like a great idea! She has been sleeping in her own room for about a month now and has really done well...and despite my fears...I can still hear her very well on the monitor. So, the pack n' play has become this unneccessary storage space for me and served only the occassional diaper change. But, somewhere in the back of my mind was this thought...that if we took it down, we would suddenly need it. Just like when you get rid of something that you haven't used for a while...you suddenly need it again a few weeks later.

Ta Da.....it totally happened!

David and I had just settled down to watch our favorite weekly TV shows and I heard a funny noise on the monitor. Thinking it was just Matilda squirming and finding a good sleep position, I kept watching. Then after 5 or 10 minutes, she kept making noises. So, thinking I was on "paci" patrol, I went in to stick it to her! And low and behold....my poor child was covered in PUKE!!! I felt like the worst mom ever!! She looked so sad and sick!

After rousing David from the couch, and another 3 throw-ups later, we finally had everything cleaned and sorted. But our sweet little girl still didn't look so good. After a few tears from me, David agreed that she should sleep in our bed (on a towel) and thus began the night of no sleep! The only way we could get her to really sleep was to hold her. I just think none of us were used to sleeping together in the same bed. Needless to say, I got about 3 hours of sleep that night. Plus I was still recovering from the stomache bug!

But...luckily by the next afternoon Matilda was back to her smiley baby self and was so happy to be back in her bed! We are all on the mend now....YEA!! What a pukey week!! I guess this is just what happens when you have kids....but it was our very first experience, and thus, very memorable!

So, I leave you with this.....the moral of the story is.........don't take the pack n' play down, or you'll be wondering if all the drama could have been avoided!!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

oh, and to think its been a YEAR since you were here for our pukey situation! you handled it like a pro though, so I'm sure you did great with Matilda. I'm sorry, puking stinks -- literally! hope you guys are on the mend.