28.8.07

diaper free?

we're big into news stories today!!




Erinn Klatt holds her son Dominic Klatt, 1, over the toilet, Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007 at their home in Sutton, Mass. Dominic is a product of a 'diaper-free' movement founded on the belief that babies are born with an instinctive ability to signal when they need to go to the bathroom. Erinn Klatt, who began practicing the so-called 'elimination communication' at birth with her son, said he has not wet his bed at night since he was six months old. (AP Photo/Lisa Poole)


excerpt from the article by RODRIQUE NGOWI, Associated Press Writer:

"Parents attempt the early training to forge closer ties with their infants, to reduce the environmental impact associated with diapers and to avoid skin irritation caused by a wet diaper, Parise said.
Others were inspired by observing the practice while traveling abroad.
The practice also enables parents to get insight into an infant's development since more accidents occur if a child falls sick or enters a new phase such as learning to crawl, walk or talk."

Click on the title of this post to read the rest of the article.

okay...my friend Amanda gets total credit for alerting me to this news story....and I say....

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

This is crazy!! I just don't think I could be the type of person to do this with my child! I'm all for being Green and saving the earth, one diaper at a time...but PUH-LEASE!! If you read the rest of the article it talks about how most infants don't have accidents after 6 months...great!! But until then you are cleaning up all kinds of messes everywhere for 6 months, and making sure your newborn is properly fed, rested, and happy.....and doing all this while you are sleep-deprived. Sounds really fun and totally practical. And you would surely feel tied down to your house in some way. How would you ever be able to go anywhere besides the park? I guess you would have to be okay with that. Personally I would rather change thousands of diapers that contain the mess, than have to clean it up from around the house, my child, and on myself. It just sounds like a lot of nonsense!

Plus who has the time? I guess if I followed Matilda around the house all day waiting for her to pee or poop, it could work. I really feel even more grateful for diapers right now!!

So, the question is...do we think this really works...is it feasible in today's society...does it bring you more in touch with your child's needs and development?

What do you think...please weigh in! Leave a comment...it will be an interesting social study! As for me....I think we'll have to wait a little longer for the diaper free living!! Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

5 comments:

katherine said...

i know some women here that are all about it, but i say no thanks too. i am trying to save the earth in other ways, and my sanity this way by keeping my child in diapers until she is ready for princess panties.

Amanda said...

Are you serious Kat? You KNOW someone who does this? Can you please alert them to the water they are wasting washing sheets and clothing 24 hrs. a day while their kids pee all over the earth? Seriously, I think it's bizarre. Plus, do you need to potty train your kid to be in touch with them? How about snuggle? Read? Kiss and talk with them? These parents are silly.

april said...

there is a book about this that you can check out of the manchester library. i thought it was too crazy not to check out. i had fun skimming it, but i'm with all of you, no thank you. considering i just pulled my three year old out of the nursery school i had signed her up for since she's not fully potty trained for, i'm not the right target audience for this. i just hope she makes nursery school when she's four!

katherine said...

ya, the sherratt's neighbor does it, (and I have met her once) and then another friend of my good friend, so it is not a totally personal connection, but close enough! and I know that they really really do this! i think that it is sick too, plus you are confined to your home pretty much! no gives.

Anonymous said...

To each his (or her) own, I suppose. I go green by letting the diaper get so saggy that it's to Tycen's knees and the velcro tabs are about to come off because of the sheer weight of the diaper before I change it. That saves a few diapers a day, right?