29.3.07

workout buddies

okay, I am totally approaching this whole weight-loss/workout regime with "eyes wide shut". I know...what do you mean. I was thinking that if anyone saw me on the elliptical today, they would be impressed, and they would wonder why I had my eyes closed!

I came up with the catch phrase "eyes wide shut" to classify this whole experience. I am such a super freak. I know most people who would embark on this journey would prepare themselves with all the tools seemingly necessary to succeed, of which, I have some. But I have decided not to buy a scale. Seems like one of the main things you get, right? Anyway, I am so obsessive about checking things like weight, or the amount of time I have been running, or how far I went, that I can't trust myself not to get bogged down in the mire. I have noticed through my short life that I will mentally defeat myself before I even get a good thing going because of the overwhelming ultimate goals and the like. So, as I was going on the elliptical, I had to keep my eyes shut today so I wouldn't obsess over the numbers! It was so funny! Usually I am distracted by the TV, but, it is on vacation...at the repair shop. And the music and singing Matilda and I were doing only lasted for the duration of a few Stevie Wonder songs! And for the weight, it is kind of like a little surprise every week to go weigh-in and see, good or bad, how I did. Otherwise, I would be on it a few times a day! I know...I'm crazy! So, I must keep it at a distance and only control what I can in front of my face.

I have also been religiously writing down every bit that goes in my mouth. Which I love because it really keeps you honest! YEA for portion control! I'm sure in time though, it will all become second nature and we will fall into a great habit of living well.

This is just a small glimpse into my battle to be healthy for myself and my family. As I was using the hand weights today, I kept telling Matilda...BE HEALTHY! And everytime she would smile so big and start to giggle, like she was cheering me on.....she was totally cracking up at me! I love it! It really helps me to visualize why I'm doing this, and her sweet giggle and smile help me to get there! I am so happy that I have chosen this path, and have great family and friends who will do weight challenges with me, attend WW, keep me honest, and pick me up when I struggle. So, I am publicly making myself accountable for it. I know that for any kind of future I must keep it going. I can say that I have officially changed my mind set to healthy living...and am so excited about what that brings for us! Moderation in all things....what wise counsel!

Anyway, here we go. My beginner goal is to lose 20 pounds. Of which, I am happy to say, I have lost 5! So, 15 more to go. I know I can do it! And today I did my best time so far, 1.1 miles in 10 min. 10 sec. Yea!! Feel free to join in with your own goals...whatever they may be!! Happy and healthy living....keep it up!



Check her out! BE HEALTHY!!



She loves pumping iron!



Roxy was also exercising by playing with her toys. What good and healthy girls we have!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You go girl! Good for you...you're exercising and that's one up on me! I'm so proud of you and can't wait to see the results tomorrow!

katherine said...

Lara, way to go! I haven't done WW, but we switched to wheat bread and soy milk and I am actually cooking more and all that kind of stuff have made a difference. So good for you! It really does feel so good! See less of you soon!

april said...

i didn't (and still don't) have a scale when i did weight watchers. i think it was a good idea. i'm liking your philosophy here; you're inspiring me to do something. i'll try and set some goals than share.

thanks for setting the example!! once again, you looked GREAT last night!