11.2.09

sing a song

admittedly...i haven't been the best blogger in the land recently. i must chalk it up to the fact that i am anxiously engaged in preparing my nest for this new little boy! we are up to our armpits in projects that must be done...finish basement...finish nursery...clean every nook and cranny of this house for fear that i won't be able to for 3 months....stuff like that! i know that he will come no matter what...but i just want things in order. i have become "the nester"!!

but, today, during a quiet break from the playing and the nesting...i got to tuck my sweet little girl, with her curly pigtails, into bed for a rest. we read a few books, and sang as many princess songs as i could remember...and then, as we cuddled there together on her big girl bed we sang our "close your eyes" song. ever since she has been 2 months old and went to her crib without me, i have sung to her my favorite hymn, "love at home" as i have rocked her each night. it has always calmed her and made her feel at peace, as it has me. it is a little part of me that i have planted in her.

as i sang this song today, my sweet girl started singing with me. her little voice seemed so big in the quiet of the room. she has never sung with me before and i was so surprised when she started! she didn't get all the words, but she did her best. then, as we finished, she rolled over and looked at me with her big blue eyes and said "thanks mommy, for singing with me"! my heart just melted! my little baby is a big girl now. and as i gave her one last kiss, i realized that our days are about to change. for the better, of course. but our time will be a little different now. and as i hugged her one last time, i realized that i was hugging both my babies at the same time. i was just filled with love for these little ones that have been entrusted to me. i hope that i can always plant good "seeds" in them and encourage them to see the beauty all around. that we will all be happy here where there is love in our home.


Love at Home

There is beauty all around
When there’s love at home;
There is joy in ev’ry sound
When there’s love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev’ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home.

In the cottage there is joy
When there’s love at home;
Hate and envy ne’er annoy
When there’s love at home.
Roses bloom beneath our feet;
All the earth’s a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Making life a bliss complete
When there’s love at home.

Kindly heaven smiles above
When there’s love at home;
All the world is filled with love
When there’s love at home.
Sweeter sings the brooklet by;
Brighter beams the azure sky.
Oh, there’s One who smiles on high
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Oh, there’s One who smiles on high
When there’s love at home.

Text and music: John Hugh McNaughton, 1829–1891

4 comments:

Groff Family said...

Hey Lara! I totally know what you mean about the nesting thing and the little sadness that things aren't going to be quite the same with our older children. I have gone a little overboard with waxing floors and stuff like that.

Every night when I rock Camden before bed, I hold him a little closer, knowing that it won't quite be the same ever again. I'm excited for the new baby, but it makes me a little sad to know that things between Camden and I will change, and he has no idea what's coming!

Brenda said...

When I was in labor with Paige, It was time to head to the hospital, and all of a sudden it hit me, I have never left this little girl overnight yet! I started bawling, I was so worried about what I had done to this poor little girl! I got over it when the contractions got a bit crazy, and we both survived! It is so hard understand how you are going to be able to share yourself, when you have only had to worry about one, but it all works out! Don't worry! She will be the best helper, and she will love her brother! You will be fabulous! Can't wait to see pictures of this little one!

Emily said...

You capture the essence of motherhood so, so beautifully that it brings tears to my eyes. I love that there are people out there like you who are fascinated by their children as much as I am fascinated by mine. It seems like every moment of the day I am saying "Look Kevin, look what they are doing now." You need to stop and watch everything. I have to tell myself that these little people who prefer dog food to snack on really don't care about the dirt. And I struggle to ignore the dirt, too although obsessiveness typically wins out.

Just thinking about the arrival of your little boy sends a shiver down my spine. I look at how quickly my Laura and Conner are growing and part of me wants another one while part of me wonders what these two would do with a new baby. I anxiously await updates on your family. Be well, Lara -- and keep up the great writing!

Sara Boo said...

Okay. So you made me cry. I felt like I was a fly on the wall during nap time. I could hear her little voice and yours too. Gosh! Now I have mascara stains on my sleeve. :) Love you tons & tons. I look up to you alot. Maybe I'll get to be a good mom like you one day.